By the Grace of God

Reflecting over time, looking forward and believing God has something in store bigger than anyone can imagine. This is my way of scribing all the events as they come to pass so that people can know me and perhaps a bit more about themselves.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Slow to Anger

Last night we attended/worked at the Forerunner and End Times Conference here in KC. I could write for days on my thoughts about the end times and how unschooled and lethargic society is about the End of Days. I am astounded that the majority of people asked could care less about the end than where their next beer is coming from.

Justin Rizzo, led the worship last night and I particularly like his sets. He began with a song with these lyrics:
Lord., you are gracious
You are slow to anger,
Abounding in love,
You are, good to all!

Those words have been echoing in my mind all night and all day today. Allen Hood spoke last night, and I cannot recommend him enough. Every time I hear him preach I am provoked, challenged, inspired and moved. He began his teaching as sweetly as I have ever witnessed. He called his wife to the stage and asked her to pray over him before he started. As she was walking up, he says, "Isn't she so cute?" After she prayed and was returning to her seat, he repeated that about 3 more times saying, "I know I am dead, so I a have to make sure I get it all in". Now, the audience thought it was funny, and it was, but I was actually touched. I was thrilled to see a husband, loving his wife so much that he wanted her to pray over him, and then gush over her. You just don't see this everyday, let alone once a year.

Allen went on to talk about not letting anger get a foothold in your life. Don't we all need to hear that! He said there is a key difference between being undisturbed and holy. You can be left alone and think you are being holy, but what are the thoughts in your spirit? What do you do when you get walked on or bumped by some person? Surely, there is a bit of truth in their accusations, but what do you do about it? Do you fire back according to how much truth there was in the insult? Or do you truly forgive the person and even pray a blessing on them, maybe even go as far as to do something nice for them? I tell you folks, that message last night could have, and probably should have been a several week series.

And then I blew it. We left the church, and had to run to our local grocery store for a few items. It was late, everyone was tired. I was grumpy and the kids were bouncing off the walls like they usually do right before they collapse. As we were leaving the store and my patience was all used up, my son was skipping around in circles and trying to do tricks as if he were riding a skateboard. He jumped, twisted, and twirled and crashed to the ground losing a flip-flop. I yell, "What are you doing? Get up!" He no sooner gets to his feet, and around the corner comes Allen Hood's wife and their three sons. Surely they heard every word I barked at my child. Bad, Ken! Nothing like a big 'ole slice of humble pie for dessert.

I challenge everyone, be slow to anger. Forgive those that hurt you and bless them. Life is much more enjoyable that way.



1 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Chuck Scott said...

Man...I just got done putting my 2 youngest in bed (no easy task), sat down to do some relaxing blog reading and you post something that makes me realize that I need to get a bigger fork for the humble pie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home